AUSTIN, Texas, March 8, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- SAP SE (NYSE: SAP) and Bumble Bee Foods, North America's largest branded shelf-stable seafood company, today announced Bumble Bee Foods is using the SAP® Cloud Platform Blockchain service to trace the journey of yellowfin tuna from the Indonesian ocean to the dinner table. Together, SAP and Bumble Bee continue to innovate and improve upon seafood traceability as more and more consumers demand to know their food is safe and sustainably sourced. This announcement was made at SXSW, taking place March 8–17 in Austin, Texas.
With SAP's blockchain technology, consumers and customers will be able to easily access the complete origin and history of Bumble Bee Foods' Natural Blue® by Anova® yellowfin tuna simply by using their smartphones to scan a QR code on the product package. With the snap of a code, the blockchain technology provides instant information about the fish-to-market journey, including the size of the catch, point of capture and the fishing community that caught it, as well as valuable insights to verify authenticity, freshness, safety, fair trade fishing certification and sustainability.
"With SAP, we have the ability to track fish the moment it's caught and as it travels around the world, telling the story of each tuna while positively impacting ecosystems and the lives of the people all the way down the line," Bumble Bee Foods Chief Information Officer Tony Costa said. "Bumble Bee has long been an industry leader in tracing its seafood products, and the addition of SAP's blockchain technology allows us to further elevate our efforts in complete transparency with consumers and customers, providing assurance that their fish is fresh and it's been sourced fairly according to our commitments to the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation." (click for more).
- Using Barcodes to Tally Organic Bananas from Farm to Table
- C3 Solutions’ President, Nicholas Couture, Named a 2019 Supply & Demand Pro to Know
- Acuity Joins Zebra Technologies’ PartnerConnect Program
- OCR Canada Ltd. Announces Recent Acquisition of QSG, Inc.
- NFC Money Transfer Specification Alternative To QR Codes Announced
- Socket Mobile Ships DuraCase for Apple iPhones 6, 7, 8 and Plus versions
- Support for New GS1 Digital Link Standard From Digimarc
- Live Finger Detection Fingerprint Scanner For The SmartMetric Biometric Credit/Debit Cards
- Web-Based Inventory Management System Reveals its New Breakdown Feature
- Dynamsoft Barcode Reader SDK Update Improves Blurred Barcode Decoding Performance