WASHINGTON, June 26, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
SETTING THE BAR
Profile America — Monday, June 26th. Whoever bought a pack of chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio, on this date 43 years ago was making history. It was the first purchase of an item to be scanned into a cash register by using the Universal Product Code — much better known as the bar code. The 10-pack of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit is now on display at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., along with one of the early scanners. The price-scanning concept actually dates from the early 1950s, employing a bull's-eye type mark. But it proved cost prohibitive. Today, the bar code is part of everyday life for the $4.2 trillion worth of annual transactions in America's nearly 1.1 million retail trade establishments, and the 14.7 million people who work in them. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau online at www.census.gov.
First bar code scan/accessed 3/29/2017: www.cbsnews.com/news/say-happy-40th-birthday-to-the-upc-code/
Early scanner/accessed 3/29/2017: http://inventors.about.com/od/bstartinventions/a/Bar-Codes.htm
Retail trade/NAICS 44-45: https://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/table/1.0/en/ECN/2012_US/00A1//naics~44-45
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotion of the U.S. Census Bureau. Statistics and accounts drawn from cited non-Census sources are employed for illustrative or narrative purposes, and are not attested to by the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Audio" in the "Library" pull-down menu).
Other Bar Code News:
- Stephen Schueler Joins Solvoyo's Advisory Board to Advise on Growth Strategy
- Cin7 Releases One-Click Integration with Walmart Marketplace
- Parking Counting System - First Plug-and-Play Counting Device to Deliver Over 98% Accuracy
- ID Card Workshop 5.0 Released, Added Image Filters and a New Database Setting Feature
- New GS1 US Resource Helps Small Businesses Grow and Compete Online with Enhanced Product
- DENSO Foundation’s 2017 Grants Support Hands-On Education at 22 Institutions
- Identiv to Showcase Cisco-Integrated ICPAM 3.0 & Secure Network Operations at Cisco Live
Get The Bar Code News once a month, once a week or once a day. Subscribe here.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheBarCodeNews
Follow us on Facebook: https://facebook.com/TheBarCodeNews